Friday, July 27, 2007

Of Trekkies and power outages

This article just came out: in the new Star Trek movie, we will get a look at the young heroes of the original series - Spock, James T. Kirk, and I assume Bones and Scotty well, maybe even the rest of the crew, who knows? Anyway, I'm rather happy about the people they have working on the show (as in, SO GLAD Rick Berman is not directing the creative aspects of the film). The last film was absolutely terrible (Nemesis - they killed Data!!), so this one, if it's done even half well, will be a vast improvement. And no, in case you are now chuckling that I'm interested in Star Trek, I do not dress up, go to conventions, or study Klingon. You can, you know - learn Klingon on tape, and such.

This evening for dinner, I had a rather unwelcome surprise. The power suddenly went out when I attempted to use the oven. Their father had not yet attempted to use it because he didn't know how and couldn't read the directions (not in English, made by a German company), so he gave the directions to me to figure out. I had it all figured out, was ready to pop my mac'n'cheese into the oven, when pop! - out went the power in the entire apartment. This has happened to me before, but because of my blowdryer, so I did what I usually did, turn off all the breakers, then turn them on again. This didn't work. So, after getting the guard a couple of times, and talking to the manager, I finally figured out a way to test each switch individually. So, the power is now back on (go me!), but we can't use the oven. So, it became stovetop mac'n'cheese. Ugh.

At least we still have our movies for Friday night movie night. Tonight, it's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and "Madagascar" for the boys, and after they go to bed, "The Fugitive" for me. I like that show.

No comments: