Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I hate long division

Actually, I don't hate long division - I used to do super big problems in school because I was bored. But today I had to teach long division to one of my little charges, and next week the other will catch up in the math homework, so I will have to teach him as well. I was so exhausted after getting him through four problems on his own that I took a really long nap. Think sometime how exactly you would attempt to explain to a 9-year old that you must place the answer on top, but the answer to the multiplication part goes below, then you have to subtract, then drop the next one and divide again - seriously, not fun.

Tonight we went out to the beach for dinner, and there was an absolutely fantastic sand castle there. I forgot my camera, so I couldn't get a picture of it. Anyway, I'm sure we'll go back. It was pretty cheap and delicious, and one of their father's favorite spots. I had to pay for my own drink though. He ordered three lime juices without asking me what I wanted. I don't like lime juice, and I really don't like what passes for lime juice at most outdoor food centers here in Singapore. I used this opportunity to teach the boys a lesson - never order for anyone else unless you know them well enough to know what they would like to eat/drink. Seriously, what is it with men wanting to order your food for you?

No comments: