Friday, July 27, 2007

hugs

I was informed by my mother tonight that my grandfather has passed away. He died of liver failure, just as my dad did last year. He was a great guitar player, in fact, he bought my dad his first guitar. He was a beekeeper for a while before his stroke. Whenever anyone got sick, his favorite remedy was a generous tablespoon full of honey. Honey was also used for depression, headaches, stomachaches, and anything else you could possibly imagine. He had a saying he used to like to use on my mom: "Fish and company stink after three days." He, of course, would use this after three days or so of us visiting at Christmastime. He was a crazy old guy, but I loved him. He had a long and full life, lived on his own terms. You can't ask for much more than that.

Go hug someone you love. Buy them something special. Spend some time with them. And go outside and twirl around under the stars.

2 comments:

Eggman Studios said...

Rachel, I'm so sorry. I'm sending a big virtual hug your way. {{HUG}}

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachies! I'm sorry to hear about Grandpa Johnson. It's much too sad; and you are, once again, out of the country. That's both Grandpa's, you realize that?

Anyhoo, I didn't hug anyone but I DID twirl under the stars when I took the dogs out potty.

Love you much,

Beaner