Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Internet privacy

There are a number of oxymorons that I could make jokes about - military intelligence, honest politician, and so on - but by far my favorite is internet privacy. Someone once told me that unless you wouldn't mind seeing anything you put up on the internet on a billboard on the road entering the town in which you live, you shouldn't put it up. I have taken this to heart, and while there may be things that I would prefer not to be put up, there's nothing that would be in any way titillating or otherwise. Some may call this boring. I call it prudent.

One of the perks of my job is the unique variety of things people buy and the information one gets by seeing someone's purchase history. I believe I already mentioned the GCs sent to dominatrices. The men buying these would probably be horrified to know of someone knowing about this. There have also been sex toys, various explicit books and videos, and a truly strange little item called a "Keinohrhase" or "Rabbit with no ears." It's a relationship tool.

Anyway, this was all sparked by one of the orders I came across today. The customer's Yahoo! profile was a picture of his junk. One of my colleagues has gotten a picture of testicles before, but this was a first for me.

All I have to say is this: WHY would you ever post a picture of yourself - especially if you aren't precisely impressive - on the internet for ANYONE to see?

No comments: