Sunday, January 06, 2008

Change... or experience?

I caught the Democratic debates last night by accident - I usually read about the debates after they're over, since I was out of the country for most of them, and haven't had a TV for the remainder. But, my mom gets basic channels, so I watched them last night. You know what's funny? Richardson actually made a very nice showing, especially for someone who has no hope of winning. He's got a great hope of being a running mate, though - he has a lot of good ideas, and had the best lines of the night.

I am personally undeterred in my support of Obama, who I have supported since early last year (not that it matters in my state, where the candidate will already have been decided by the time I get to vote for him), and am very excited to see that a man with a Kenyan father and the middle name 'Hussein' won the primary in white bread Iowa. That, in itself, would get me excited, if only because it's such a monumental philosophical victory in this country. Of course, I think part of the reason people don't see him based on the color of his skin is that he doesn't act like a stereotypical American black male, he acts like a highly educated Ivy league graduate, which most people respect.

I very much hope that McCain wins in New Hampshire. Romney has spent an absurd amount of money, and has all the corporate interests in his corner, but McCain has spent a miniscule amount in proportion, and has the integrity to back up what he says. I like Romney before he turned into a Republican party android machine. His record as Massachusetts governor showed that he was willing to think for himself and do what the people of Massachusetts wanted. Then he completely re-made himself for this race. I hope other voters are wondering to themselves - who exactly is he? And even if Huckabee won Iowa, his appeal is not broadly based across the country, and in very few places elsewhere could a Southern Baptist minister who wants to 'take' the country 'back for God' win in a Presidential caucus/primary.

It's exciting to watch this race in a way that other races haven't been exciting at all. Voters are tired of establishment candidates (finally!) and are looking elsewhere for answers, so we actually have interesting people winning. I admire and respect Hillary Clinton for what she's accomplished in her life, for her brilliance, and her perseverance. However, I simply disagree with her on a lot of policy issues. I also don't trust someone who is so firmly a part of the Democratic party. Parties work for the benefit of the party; they don't work for the benefit of the American people they're supposed to be serving. While it would be highly gratifying to vote for a woman as president, I think I'll have to content myself for voting for Obama.

2 comments:

Eggman Studios said...

I agree with you. Overall, I really like Obama and agree with nearly all of his stances. The "limited experience" downside about him is the biggest negative I have since the country is so amazingly screwed up right now (but really, what more harm *can* be done? Seems kinda like everything that could possibly go wrong already has, compliments of the Bushman). I'll be voting for him as well.

And Huckabee seriously scares the utter crap outta me.

Rachel said...

yeah, ditto on your last statement. It's such an interesting race! I kind of like how no one's ahead - usually these things are so formulaic. And it's SO NICE not to think we'll be stuck with another John Kerry. ugh.