Friday, October 26, 2007

T.G.I.F.

Today is a rather nice fall day for Seattle. The air is nippy, it’s partly cloudy (although one can probably expect the sun to come out shortly), and there’s that lovely crisp freshness of autumn welcoming the coming winter that is lurking, undefinable, behind the long shadows of the high rises.

Today is also Friday, and as most offices downtown have a casual Friday, Seattle is a veritable sea of jeans this morning. I looked closely, and saw only one pair of black slacks entering the Washington Mutual building when I walked by. My building must be slightly more dressy because the woman in front of me going up the elevator was dressed in lovely black fishnet stockings, cute black wedges and traditional business attire. Still, I’m pleased with the amount of casualness I see – I doubt this would work very well on the east coast, which I’ve heard is far more fashion conscious than we are.

Today is also the first night of the weekend before Halloween, meaning lots of Halloween parties all throughout the area. My cousin is coming up to visit, and we will have carrot cake with cream cheese icing in celebration. I hope that many people will have fun this weekend. I read an ad recently in craigslist for writers writing about loneliness in Seattle. The ad contended that while other cities had their fair share of lonely, depressed people, Seattle has a unique culture of loneliness and depression. Some blame it on the weather, some blame it on the mouth-breathing males, some blame it on the stuck-up females. I do not agree with this hypothesis, however – but what do I know? I don’t actually even live in Seattle yet. Here’s to hoping there are some great parties this weekend and lots of people have lots of fun and feel lightness in their hearts.

Happy Friday, everyone!

3 comments:

Dolce Vita said...

My theory on Seattle and depression involved coffee. The weather can be a downer, but the great coffee buoys the spirit (especially when imbibed on those cool, crisp days you mentioned). But the let-down when the caffeine wears off can be magnified by the cloudy, wet weather.

Eggman Studios said...

I'm in that sad, depressed, lonely Seattleite group this weekend (working long, long hours), so alas, no weekend parties for me. I'm going to one on Halloween night though, so at least I don't seem like a TOTAL loser. Hehehe... :)

And yuuummmmmm...carrot cake.....

Rachel said...

hmm... I've always been with KFR on the subject of cloudy, overcast, or even pouring rain days. But I see what you mean about the coffee, the letdown could exacerbate the problem for the sun-lovers around here.

ha! party on Halloween?? I'll be lucky to get home by eight so I can wake up early to move the next day. Course, I'll probably be dead on my feet from waking up so freaking early. Only three days left of my commute!!!