Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Definition

I learned a new word today. While reading about various campaign strategies being employed by various Democratic frontrunners, I came across the word ‘sclerotic.’ It was used in reference to Edwards’ attempt to characterize Hillary Clinton as part of the Washington establishment. I know the root word is similar to sclerosis, so I thought perhaps it meant something about being twisty and decided to look it up. According to Merriam-Webster Online:

sclerotic: having to do with sclerosis.

That being entirely useless, I looked up sclerosis.

sclerosis: 1. pathological hardening of tissue; 2. an inability or reluctance to adapt or compromise. etym. from the Greek, sklerosis, to harden

I am very much in like with my new word. I think there are a lot of people to whom it would apply nicely. However, I do not think that it applies in this case, being that Hillary Clinton is probably one of the most adaptable politicians in Washington, one who is perfectly happy to compromise if it suits her goals. There are many other people for whom this word is far more appropriate. Donald Trump, I think, is the epitome of “sclerotic.” Perhaps also the Queen of England. But probably not Hillary.

2 comments:

kungfuramone said...

I'm pretty sure The Donald's hair is sclerotic, anyway. I'm not comfortable with the fact that "sclerotic" contains the word "erotic" in this context, BTW.

Rachel said...

one could also see the Queen's hair in a similar manner. And I think that would be just as disturbing. :D