Friday, October 19, 2007

Big storms, power outages, oh my!

Yesterday, the tail end of a Pacific cyclone hit the Seattle area (and other parts of the NW, but mainly us). It was delightful when ensconced in a high rise in downtown Seattle, and it was even bordering on balmy when the wind wasn't knocking me over walking down to the ferry.

I was mildly perturbed when I heard over the ferry intercom that the Port Orchard ferry had been cancelled due to weather, but I thought - I'm going to my hiking class at OC anyway, doesn't matter. But, when I got onto the bus, I heard the power was out at OC earlier, and they have a habit of cancelling classes on the drop of a hat, not to mention for a giant storm and power outages. So I rushed off the bus, hoping to find the fabled Port Orchard ferry replacement buses, but they weren’t there, so I asked the ticket seller, and she said that the ferry was there, and I’d better hurry!! geez… I made the ferry with about one minute to spare. It was pitching and rocking like crazy, though, quite a fun ride. I’m glad it takes a good half hour for me to get fully seasick, because if I’d had to deal with that for much longer, I would have puked.

The guy who filled in on the Access bus last night has my enormous gratitude for taking me directly to my house, because downed trees had knocked out power lines all over the Kitsap Peninsula, and the entire city of Port Orchard had no power. I tried calling the taxi company, but they were out too, and my mom was out of town, so if the bus driver hadn’t taken me all the way home (which is out of the city limits, so he’s not technically supposed to), I would have had to walk home in the dark and stormy night. That sounds very dramatic, and I would really rather not have that sort of drama in my life.

It was quite fun digging out the candles – mom doesn’t keep them in a special place that I know of, so I went out digging in the garage for my own candles that I put there when I moved back from Eugene last year, using my cell phone screen to see. Scented candles burn quickly – they’re pretty silly. They took about two hours to burn down completely, whereas the tall white taper only burned about two inches. I was hoping that the power outage would stay going until the morning so I could be late to work, but no such luck. It was back on around 2am.

Today promises to be much less exciting than yesterday. I don’t mind though – what with the stress of this commute for three weeks now, I am perfectly happy with an utterly uneventful Friday evening.

2 comments:

Karlyn said...

We had quite an evening in Michigan too. We were up all night listening to the tornado warning sirens, almost constant thundar and lightening, and the pounding rain. There were something like 5 tornadoes that touched ground around where we live...yikes! I love wind storms and such but tornadoes I can live without. The news said the tornado killed two people in a town a couple of miles from East Lansing. I can't wait to move back to the Northwest!

Rachel said...

I saw that on the news. I think I like my exciting, but otherwise harmless, rainstorm. There's simply nothing bad up here, except the threat of a giant earthquake, a giant tsunami, or a giant volcano. But those are all threats, whereas tornadoes and hurricanes happen every year in other parts of the country. No thanks.