Tuesday, August 14, 2007

goodbye, Patch

Today, H. got the news that his pet rat, Patch, has died, probably of a brain tumor. This made him quite sad all day, so he got a piece of chocolate and cancellation of long division for today. It's not every day your first pet dies on you.

He was a stinky, nasty, long-hairless-tailed rat, but he was Henri's rat, and that's what mattered. So, goodbye Patch - I hope you have no idea that your body is now living in a freezer, awaiting pet cremation. That would just not be cool.

Note: I don't really like this whole pet cremation thing, or this trend towards spending billions of dollars on pets. I'm attached to my beautiful Caesar, but I don't buy him those massive giant cat play dealios. I certainly won't be cremating him when he dies. He'll be buried in a cardboard box with holes poked in it for faster decomposition, just like every other pet I've had. I'll probably plant some sort of pretty bush or tree on top of his grave to remember him by. But pet cremation? It's like $100. That's a lot of money, just to keep a pet's ashes. Thoughts?

2 comments:

another kind of nerd said...

Ew! Though that's not as creepy as people using the ashes from their loved ones as the basic ingredient of man-made jewels that they then put in rings and necklaces. Now that's a bit much.

Rachel said...

yuck! I didn't know they did that. I mean, pet cremation is up there with neuticles, in my book. Absolutely creepy. Cremation always reminds me of Meet the Parents now. That was just terrble!