Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Addendum

Anyone who's ever seen the movie by the creators of South Park, Team America, knows how utterly brilliant Trey Parker and Matt Stone are. I didn't always like South Park because I thought it was all fart jokes and other humor of a similar intellectual level. Then I actually started paying attention and realized how incredibly brilliant they are. Absolutely nothing is safe from their lampooning (which I applaud, even when they skewer issues/people that I believe in - that's the point of our system), and this was especially clear in Team America.

I mention this because tonight one of the Germans mentioned the movie (because of Matt Damon - hilarious) and it prompted me to look it up again and I found this article. The reason I loved the movie when I saw it originally is because, as the authors say, Parker and Stone take the pompous and the overdone and turn it into the ridiculous (Kim Jong Il singing, anyone?). I honestly can't think of Kim Jong Il any longer without having "I'm so ronery, oh so ronery..." play in my head. Kind of takes the wind out of a dictator's sails when he knows people are laughing at him.

Maybe we should all follow their example. A little more laughter, a little less terror tactics. I don't understand how many of the security measures implemented in recent years have actually helped prevent incidents of terror. Such as the security guard in New York who took my water bottle, or the security lady in Tokyo who jacked my Coke. Yes, indeed - I am planning on wreaking havoc on my next flight with this Coke can. I fail to see how such things make me any safer. But it does make me feel at least a little less unhappy about the threat posed by douchebag jihadists or my own government to think about them perhaps a little more the way Cartman would.

2 comments:

Eggman Studios said...

Ah yes. The ever-vigilant and ridiculously beefed-up airport security. A complete and utter ruse to make us feel happy and safe while at the same time not really doing anything.

When I flew to Italy last year, I remember the security gaurd at SeaTac FLIPPED OUT because my little bottle of shampoo and hair gel were in a freezer ziplock bag vs. the guarter gallon ziplock size. Oh. My. God. I think the whole purpose of the ziplock size was so that you couldn't bring more than what would fit in it. I had two little bottles. Had they been in a guarter size bag, they would have taken up about a guarter of the space. SO obviously NOT a threat. But the guy couldn't wrap his head around that one. It was like I had suddenly put a cog in the wheel and he didn't know what to do. WTF. So, he confiscated them.

Nevermind the fact that I'm a small, very obviously, American girl with frizzy blond curls and blue eyes. The really funny part? I had a small pair of SCISSORS for doing artwork in my purse that went through the X-ray (apparently, I had forgotten to take them out before the trip). The guard didn't even blink an eye over that.

Oh yes, America. Our planes are quite safe.

Rachel said...

my expensive body shop lotion (mostly empty, thankfully - but that just makes it stupider) was confiscated on the way back from Seattle in April. It's a worldwide problem, though - I've just run into more paranoia in the States. I mean, does anyone honestly think that by treating all passengers like criminals they're actually going to catch anything? Yeah, my knitting and crochet needles made it through fine too. Do you realize the damage you could do with those? ha - one time I had to demonstrate for the official so he knew what they were. :) I just hope that the airlines make such idiots of themselves that people want to start taking the train. :D