Saturday, August 11, 2007

Countdown - and what I have learned

Today is August 11, meaning that I have 17 days until I fly home. YES!! :) I am doing this countdown thing in my head every day to keep myself sane.

What I have learned:
  • I would not do well working for a year alone teaching English in Asia.
  • I knew already that I hate hot climates, but I know now that I really, really hate hot climates
  • My Chinese class has helped me immensely - I can understand "Ta shi wo baba!" on a Chinese language program. :) Of course, I haven't been practicing. I've decided on Farsi of the three difficult languages I tested out in Austria. It's the most fun, imho.
  • I know now that - if necessary - I can function pretty much normally in a hot climate. Shorter trips to hot climates formerly induced dizzy spells and headaches.
  • I am not cut out to be an elementary school teacher or tutor. I'm doing a good job, but it's maddening.
  • There are some people that you just won't like. I have the happy circumstance of liking most people I meet (some sour on acquaintance), rarely do I truly dislike someone. Now I can add one to my list.
  • I really like to be in the water. I used to be waterphobic, and now I've at least conquered that. Now to learn to swim without a board!
  • I don't like washing dishes by hand. I especially don't like it when I have a dishwasher available.
  • I don't like real Chinese food (honestly, pig stomach soup??).
  • I do like these nifty little things called 'char siew pau' which are these spicy red pork dumplings. They are SO good. I know Central Market will carry them in the Asian section (along with the pig's stomach, pig's blood and pickled pig's feet - GROSS)
  • I prefer Europe and the countryside to visit. I've never had the opportunity to be much of a city person, and I loved Vienna because it's the perfect size - 1.6 million people or so, just big enough to be big, but you can get out quickly. Singapore is too big. And clean. There's no dirt anywhere - that's just strange.
  • My hair is twice its normal size in humid temperatures. I have learned not to let this bother me.
But the best thing I've learned is how important it is to really think about things when you commit to a big project. I really miss my friends and family at home, and except for two short visits, I will have been out of the United States for a year when I return. I think I'm ready to come home. For now. :)

No comments: