Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Why I'm right - and you're wrong

I was recently referred to as a cynic. I take exception to this for a couple of reasons: 1) I think the daisy - especially the blackeyed Susan - is God's chosen flower; 2) I sing in the shower; and 3) one of my favorite pastimes is crocheting doilies. So, I do not consider myself a cynic. However, this claim was leveled at me while I was enumerating, for the millionth time, what things I find wrong, stupid, or just plain inefficient about the United States. I believe that part of this summation of my character is based on my love of finding fault with things around me.

Here's a partial list:
1) Public transport in the United States SUCKS. Royally. I recently read a figure in Newsweek that 2/3rds of Americans wouldn't ride a bus even if they could.
2) SUVs are stupid. Hummers are even more stupid.
3) Two party systems are stupid. They get you what we had from 2000-2006, with a Republican in the executive, a Republican dominated legislature, and, after 2004, a conservative leaning judiciary. Inefficient government is less capable of doing harm.
4) Americans are, by and large, convinced the rest of the world likes them and enjoy learning English.
5) American food is absolute garbage.
6) Did I mention the food?

While I termed this partial, these are my favorite subjects, especially the transport and food subjects. Everyone has to have their pet peeves, right?

I believe the only reason to hold an opinion is because you think it's right. Why bother espousing an opinion you yourself believe to be nonsense? That's essentially making yourself a waste of good oxygen. Thus, I see nothing wrong with complaining - sometimes loudly - about the problems I see around me, and attempting to offer solutions. While I do feel that offering solutions is important, I rarely hold out hope for an improvement to the situations that I see as stupid around me. I do not think this makes me a cynic, but rather a pragmatist.

So, to sum up - my criticisms are based on careful thought and consideration of the issues (read: many hours spent on public transport in Austria with nothing better to do) and I offer solutions, albeit ones I think most Americans will not find to be amenable. Therefore, and this is directed to the defamer of my character - you know who you are - I am not cynical.

So there.

No comments: