Monday, June 25, 2007

It's really hot here

and it's 2:30am. When we arrived, it was 85`F - at midnight. Tomorrow, I will be wearing a nice light summer dress and I will venture no further than the pool at the apartment complex.

A short description of my room - it is approximately large enough to fit a twin bed and a bedstand and a fan. That's it. So tomorrow or the next day, we're going shopping for wall organizers, since there is no space elsewhere in the room. But, it's my very own room, and that's what counts.

Right now, I'm thankful to have had a shower - anyone who has ever traveled transoceanic knows why - and to have my own bed and my own bathroom. Never mind that the whole bathroom also doubles as the shower. The builders of this apartment were apparently expecting a poor Filipina with two pairs of any clothes she might have, who would be delighted with the prospect of having her own shower at all.

Oh, and the toilet - there is a bidet, in case you were wondering. Or not wondering. I still don't get how those things work.

Tomorrow, we try some impronouncable Chinese dish that their father made. I have a feeling I'll lose even more weight here than I did living in Austria.

2 comments:

Cabiria said...

Glad you made it safely! I had one of those shower/toilets in a hostel in Rome -- truly weird. Good luck settling in!

Rachel said...

I've decided to use the boys' shower instead. I think that I would be asking for bacteria on my feet. In another note, I now have two bites on my body. yay... and I really, really don't want to shut the window at night. Hey, at least I'm not living in a sanitized, totally Western environment, right? :)