Saturday, June 16, 2007

Farmers and Fishes

Last night, my Aunt Tina (who is two whole years older than I am) invited my brother and I for an evening of fishing and fun down at the banks of the Missouri, which runs through the family farm in Montana. We decided to go fishing, which was okay with me, because I never catch anything. At least, not since I was 8 years old and I caught a foot long trout. That is my one and only fishing story.

So, it was getting cold and I wanted to put away my line - I had successfully caught a couple of stray weeds during the evening - and go sit down, so I picked up my pole and realized that it wasn't right. By right, I mean that it felt like something between a snag and nothing, so I thought that maybe I had a nibble. So, I jiggled the pole a little, just to test my hypothesis, and let out some string to see if it would unravel and it did. Then I got a little excited but kept my mouth shut, because one does not want to get excited about getting a fish, then pull out a leather boot or something similar.

I ended up with another foot long trout, and he was a rather scrappy little bugger. They have sharp little teeth. After we took it back to the house, Alan, Tina's boyfriend, helped me cut it open, then I gutted it and washed it out. It is currently sitting in the freezer, waiting for tonight's bbq bash at Aunt Loretta's.

Gotta say, that was some of the most fun I've had in a really long time. I will post pictures as soon as my brother can download his pictures at home. He also got a video of me gutting it - which was rather gross - but pretty cool, too. Plus, I left the head and tail on, so it looks super cool. :)

This morning, we went to a Farmer's Market in Great Falls. Lots of nifty stuff, had some strudel, bought some mustard, a necklace, some cherries, the various random things one buys when one goes to a farmer's market. Right now, we're waiting for the storm to finally burst (there's a tornado warning, apparently) and then going over to Loretta's for bbq. I intend to fully enjoy my fish!

No comments: