Monday, May 14, 2007

the real world

My definition of the real world:
  • student loan payment
  • mortgage payment
  • car payment
  • insurance payments
  • stuff - lots of it!
  • 40-hr workweek
  • only federal holidays off
  • headaches
  • budgeting
  • griping about co-workers
  • weekends spent cleaning house
  • no 'me' time

I am not really looking forward to joining the 'real world' for the first time in my life this fall. I'm really not looking forward to the student loan payment part. Here's how I envision my life, in the perfect 'real world':

  • bicycle and publice transit instead of car
  • nice co-workers
  • manageable student loan payments
  • weekends spent exploring where I live
  • good job with enough pay that budgeting effort is minimal
  • time for 'enrichment' classes like pottery or backpacking
  • lack of need to clutter life with too much stuff

I realize that this is, to some extent, a pipe dream. We shall see how long it takes until I, too, lose my soul to the individuality crushing world that is the American middle class life.

No comments: