Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Yoga

I took up yoga almost a year ago, with fits and starts in my sessions with the amazing Emily Murray. My (self-imposed) schedule has not helped in this endeavor. In any case, I am now to the actual "routine" stage.

Yoga has made me more aware of my body's capabilities and limitations than anything I've done in terms of physical activity before. One of the most interesting things I've noticed is how my feet react to practice. Because of wearing shoes, I almost don't use my pinky toe, and it's all curled up anyway. My big toe is slanted inward. During practice, I make a serious effort to uncurl and use my pinky toe for balance, and make my big toe angle outwards. I have also decided to buy some toe shoes. Feet and hands have very similar bone structures; why shouldn't I utilize my feet more than as support systems for walking upright?

I have also noticed the effects of long years of sitting at a desk, either for school or work. I routinely sit with one leg under me - this knee bends much more easily in certain poses, and has a very hard time stretching out in others, where my other knee has the opposite problems. My right bicep is much stronger (strong being a relative term) than my left bicep. I have a back like Gumby.

All of this has made me much more appreciative and thankful for the body I have to use while I'm here on earth. I don't care much for philosophical discussions on mind/body/soul/heart and where each starts and stops. But certainly, a stronger body will help me to have a stronger mind, heart, soul - and same goes for each of the others. I have put so much effort into improving and building my mind and knowledge, and not nearly enough in building the intelligence and capabilities of my body. What I love most about yoga is the wholistic approach to strength and balance in the body and mind. I don't wish to become thin; I seriously doubt I could become thin even if I tried very hard. But I do want to show myself enough respect to approach my body with the same strength and purpose that I approach my work, studies, and family.

No comments: