Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Trip to India - Entry 10 - Checkout/Leaving New Delhi

After disputing the charges for internet today with the front desk lady, I ended up paying 1200 rupees for the privilege of uploading this blog and using Skype to speak with my husband and the sweetest little girl in the whole world. So, in spite of my annoyance that such an expensive hotel which caters to business travelers has lousy, expensive internet – a note on infrastructure to mention in my post tour write up paper - I can still justify the expense. Plus, the front desk lady was nice, so thanks to her and Hotel Lalit.

I feel completely outspent by my colleagues. Kyle bought some incredibly beautiful marble inlay plates at the Cottage Emporium (after being accosted in Agra, simply going in and buying was a relief, I’m sure). Subroto also bought a beautiful marble inlay plate… and a terribly expensive silk rug – which, to be fair, would have cost well over twice as much at home in Seattle.

The story of the Ganges – Ganga was asked to provide water for the people on earth. But Ganga said that the earth would split from the impact if Ganga fell directly to the ground. So instead, the Ganga came down to earth by filtering through Shiva’s hair, and thus the holy Ganges came into being.

The Ganges is now polluted almost beyond repair, which is slightly ironic considering its significance for India and Indians.

The first leg of our trip is now over as we take our yellow “TOURIST” bus from Hotel Lalit to the airport. I have fully enjoyed my time here so far, and am really looking forward to the coming three cities. I do have to admit feeling slightly homesick for my husband and daughter and kitties… but I just tell myself that two weeks isn’t really a very long time.

No comments: