Tuesday, June 24, 2008

epiphany

I had never donated to a political campaign before in my life - and I wouldn't have donated to Barack Obama's either, except that a t-shirt was promised with a minimum donation. I like t-shirts. So I donated... and donated again, and now I have two t-shirts.

I have also eschewed Starbuck's entirely. Tully's has compostable cups and sleeves, and recyclable lids, plus they serve fair-trade espresso. Also, a childhood friend works at the Tully's near where I work. So, this morning, I bought my usual non-fat latte from Tully's (which is delicious, btw - Starbucks, you and your burnt espresso can bite me).

As I was walking to my job working for a West coast e-commerce company, wearing my newest Obama t-shirt and sipping my non-fat latte, I had an epiphany.

I am a West-coast, latte-drinking elitist.

Sweet!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

dont be too proud of yourself ;)

ur not quite elitist yet, u gotta make some more money for that :)

Karlyn said...

Haha! Totally agree with you about Starbucks.

Anonymous said...

You dig sustainable coffee and T-shirts? Do I have a website for you!

www.SustainabilityIsSexy.com

I direct a non-profit group dedicated to making people's coffee habits eco-friendly. We're in Seattle too...and it sounds like you might like the message we're spreading!

Eggman Studios said...

Guh. Starbucks coffee is so, so terrible. I'm a drip coffee drinker and like mine black...Starbucks is the only drip in this here world I cannot get down my throat *at all*. Way, way too strong and burnt-tasting. Blech.

Rachel said...

thanks for taking me down a peg, dave... much obliged to ya...

and yes... Starbucks = *puke* I heard once that they deliberately use strongly roasted beans to encourage patrons to buy their specialty coffees, then they got rid of those, and kept the burnt coffee. Which I think is somewhat odd.