Tuesday, February 12, 2008

of books, movies, and work

Recently, I spent too much money on scrapbooking supplies. So, while I'm scrapbooking, I watch my netflix movies. I just finished Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima, both of which were awesome, and am getting La Vie en Rose for tomorrow. I still have Das Boot, but it's so long, I've been saving it.

I also just read The Namesake, by Jhumpa Lahiri, and it was excellent. However, I was rather depressed and unhappy about the state of the world and life in general after reading it. So... I guess that's a point in its favor, that I was so invested in the characters I really had a an emotional reaction. But I doubt I'll be reading it for fun anytime again soon.

Lastly, I saw There Will Be Blood and In Bruges in the past few days - if you can see either of these, go for it. In Bruges is meant to be a dark comedy, but There Will Be Blood often crosses that line without even seeming to mean to. Both truly excellent movies.

And, yet again, I am working six days this week. So, it's good for my wallet, no so good for my sanity.

1 comment:

Cabiria said...

I really enjoyed the Namesake too, but I hear you on feeling a bit down after finishing it. I hear the movie is excellent, but I haven't been able to watch it yet.

Scrapbooking, movies and books -- all good stuff!