Friday, November 02, 2007

statistics

I did a quick check recently of the Seattle Police Department crime statistics for my new address. While the location is fantastic in terms of how close everything is, it does have its drawbacks. Other than residential burglary and car theft, my neighborhood is one of the statistically worst neighborhoods in Seattle. That is such a happy thought… I’m assuming that residential burglary and car thefts are somewhat lower because there are nicer homes and cars elsewhere.

Well, I’ve always thought that the safety of the suburbs was an illusion. Statistically, you’re far more likely to be hurt by someone you know than someone you don’t, so just living in the suburbs won’t protect you. Still, those aren’t precisely comforting thoughts. The numbers themselves aren’t all that bad, though; there aren’t nearly as many of the most violent crimes (homicide/rape) as there are the somewhat less frightening crimes (theft/assault).

I’ve never been particularly worried about getting things stolen from me, because most thieves are smart enough to realize that I’m a lousy mark. When K. and I were in Austria, and traveling around Europe as well, we never had any problems with getting things taken. But her mom hadn’t even been in Austria a week when she had her wallet stolen. The difference? We looked poor; she didn’t. I’m hoping that this will benefit me here at home, as well. I also take comfort in knowing that I lived in a similarly tough neighborhood in Vienna, but there it was the roving gangs of Turkish boys who liked to beat people up and steal their wallets. I had heard, however, that they considered it beneath their dignity to beat up women. I doubt thieves in Seattle will have such compunctions.

2 comments:

Karlyn said...

I really miss Vienna. I never felt uncomfortable walking around that city by myself. Unfortunately that probably had to do with the fact that I am white...sad. So right now we have our own psycho running around our huge apartment complex in a scream mask, an MSU sweatshirt and nothing else. Future academician?

Rachel said...

uhh.... maybe in the psychology department. that's not just weird, that's just freaky. I had a prof who kept a blow up doll of the Scream in his office. That was also rather disturbing.

I felt a little weird in Praterstern at night. But then, you just had to pretend that you didn't see the prostitutes and jump onto the tram. Bout the only place Vienna came close to having a ghetto.