Tuesday, November 27, 2007

modern electronics-less

This morning I slept in. It was glorious. Until I woke up and realized I was going to be late – then it wasn’t quite so glorious.

I got an email from a friend in Vienna this morning that made me slightly nostalgic. I did love living and working there. Maybe someday, I’ll be able to go back, without bankrupting myself.

Currently, I have no high speed internet or TV at my new apartment. As soon as I have the money, I will rectify the first problem, but I don’t plan on getting a TV until I can afford one of those small flat screens (I was thinking a 23” or so, which are only $550 for a Sharp at Costco), and since buying a TV is pretty low on my list of priorities, that will be awhile. I was just thinking last night how much we rely on those crutches to pass the time. Last night, I read a novel, talked to my brother for an hour, tidied my kitchen, played with my cat, and got to bed early. You can bet this wouldn’t have happened if I hadn’t been living in a bubble. Then it occurred to me that this was essentially the way I grew up – no internet (since we didn’t get internet until I was in 9th grade), no TV. I find it rather peaceful.

But I’m still springing for wireless internet as soon as I have the money.

No comments: