Saturday, January 13, 2007

Food issues

The more I read about what goes into food -- thanks to C. for this little nugget - the more angry I get at the food producers who care so little about their consumers, which they show by what they put into their products. I do love the way the comments are set up on this article, though - instead of saying "post a comment" they say "complain about this post." I think that's hilarious. :)

So what is a non-vegetarian to do about the problems regarding animal byproduct usage and the enormous amount of global warming attributed to cows and sheep? (do not laugh, those cows produce a LOT of methane - although it still pales in comparison with CO2 emissions)

My solution:
1) I buy almost exclusively organic, locally produced products. If I can't buy organic because something is sold out (occasionally happens with the milk, not enough organic milk is stocked), I will buy the local option, if there is no local option, I do without.
2) I will not buy beef anymore. Unless it is produced locally without hormones, additives, lousy food, and so on, it's not worth it to me to pollute my body.
3) I already read all the food labels - I need to learn all the tip-off words in German, though. German labels are more clear than labels in English, I think, because labels in English often use a Greek or Latin version of the name to cover up what the product actually is, whereas the word is crystal clear in German.
4) Switch to grains/nuts/legumes as a source of protein. Soy, almonds, chestnuts, wild rice, and more all have excellent health benefits that won't clog your arteries.

I'm still going to buy wool and silk. Silk - I don't know so much about, but I do know that it would do more good to boycott t-shirts made by virtual slave labor in Bangladesh than to boycott silk because it's a bug by-product. Wool also makes the best scarves, and I happen to love making wool stuff.


Above all, I think it's important not to buy packaged food, regardless of your food eating persuasion. All packaged food will have health consequences in some form, and packaged food is typically the most expensive way to feed yourself. The healthy choice ones (probably of the best on the regular food market, Amy's is a worthwhile choice if you can get it) cost about $2.50, if I recall correctly, and you got a measly portion of potatoes, a sad looking little cut of steak, and some heave-inducing vegetables. For the same amount, you can buy a potato for change, buy a whole bag of vegetables, fresh or frozen, and buy a small piece of cheap steak (you get two in a pack usually) for $2.50, which you can use twice. Point is - it's not a good value, and it messes up your body. I personally like the premade food at some grocery stores, such as Central Market in my hometown and Market of Choice or Capella in Eugene. Those are excellent options if you don't cook, still cheaper than eating out, and it's not packaged.

No comments: