Saturday, July 08, 2006

Oregon daily life with OPB

On Caprial and John's kitchen show today, fresh cane berries were the subject food. They went U-Picking here in the Willamette Valley (Hillsboro, in their case) for their berries. This coming week, the boys and I are going U-Picking at a local farm that grows strawberries and cherries. It should be absolutely delicious, and I'm looking forward to the time-honored U-Picking tradition of eating more than I put into the bucket.

I signed up for a wheel-throwing pottery class. It should be pretty hilarious - I wonder how terrible I'm going to be at it? It seems like so much fun, but since I've never tried it, I really wouldn't know. I figure if I can manage a simple bowl by the end of the course, I'll have succeeded.

I wonder who originally came up with the pottery wheel? It's obviously very old - I wonder if American cultures didn't develop the pottery wheel since they didn't develop the actual wheel either?

Pottery pitcher from ancient Cyprus

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rach...That picture so doesn't look like you, but at the same time it looks just like your mother....good thing? I'll check your blogs every now and then. You going to Austria soon? Love you.