Monday, October 09, 2006

Food rantings

Last night I had a long dinner with Tanja. I enjoy the custom of eating food slowly while talking a lot. It fits my life preferences quite nicely.

Somehow I got onto the subject of food - note to anyone who doesn't care to listen to me ramble on about food - don't bring it up. The garbage that passes for food for the average American supermarket shopper is completely disgusting. You wouldn't feed your dog that food if you knew what you were actually eating. People try to tell me they don't have the money to buy the real meat, so they buy bologna. Yet they can still pay for cable. These same people who put supreme gasoline in their cars will also eat cheeseburgers from McDonalds.

I'm not against cheeseburgers, or fries, or pizza, or sugar - I'm against how poorly they are prepared, and how many additives and preservatives (and these are the NICE bits of garbage) that are added to the foods. Making a hamburger for yourself on your home barbecue from beef bought at your local market is a far cry from McDonald's swill. Potatoes you cut up and fry in olive oil and herbs in your own kitchen is even further than what passes for a starch at a fast food restaurant. Do those things even look like they're made from a real potato? There must be potato in there somewhere, but I certainly have a hard time finding it.

I ate a bite of a hamburger from Burger King this summer - the first fast food hamburger bite I had eaten since my second year as an undergraduate. It made me physically ill. Maybe because people don't realize how yummy a good hamburger that isn't slathered in cheap condiments and fake cheese can be? Maybe that's why they choose to spend their money in fast food restaurants. Either way, I think it's gross. I will stick to my freshly baked bread from the corner grocery, yummy locally produced goat cheese, and prosciutto from Italy. By the way, this all costs about 4euro here, as opposed to the $12 that would have cost me at home to buy decent food.

Portion control - the White Castle original hamburger to the McDonalds Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese (contains 62% daily value of fat, 3g of trans fat - 1/10 of an ounce of the kind of fat that doesn't leave your arteries for five years, according to the latest studies). How did this happen? Even the Big Mac is only around 45% of daily value for fat.

No comments: