Tuesday, September 14, 2010

China Study Tour: City Wall of Xi’an




This morning, we took a leisurely Sunday morning bike ride along the old city wall of Xi’an. Xi’an was the capital of 13 dynasties throughout China’s history, and this particular city wall was built during the Ming dynasty (corresponding with Europe’s High Middle Ages).

The wall is made of large bricks, which can make riding a bit bumpy. Add in the rusty nature and dubious quality of the bicycles we rented, and it was quite an adventuresome excursion.

Seu-jan had decided to go to Huashan instead of come with us biking, as that seemed much more interesting to her. Honestly, it sounded more interesting to me too, but maybe if the temperature had been cooler, I might have gone. Heat and me don’t get along. She said when she got back that the best part of her trip was the view and the clarity of the air.

After getting back from the bike ride, we were to head off to a Sechuan restaurant. Unfortunately, we couldn’t get taxis, and we really couldn’t make it in time walking (our guide in Xi’an, Jackie, was kind of lame about some things) so we ended up splitting off, the vegetarians and company going to Pizza Hut, and the rest going for Muslim food, which is very meat-heavy.

Speaking of Jackie, our cultural tour guide here in Xi’an, he offered a “laundry service” on the bus, and it was at 30% of hotel prices. Hotel prices are, to give you some idea, a $1.75 to wash a pair of underwear. Unfortunately, I did not hear the price, and sent off my laundry happily, to be stuck with a 210RMB bill when it came back. It is beyond ridiculous to pay $30 for laundry. He informed me that if I had not used his “friend’s” service, then I would have had to hang up my clothes in my room perhaps, to which I replied, “That’s exactly what I would have done!” Bilking your tourists is not a good way to be a successful tour guide. To top it all off, my clothes were still damp when they arrived.

For the afternoon, we all went our separate ways to enjoy our last free afternoon of our trip in China. For the rest of our time here, we have daily obligations. I plan to enjoy my day doing very little, maybe reading a book, or lazing about. It sounds truly heavenly.

No comments: